Wednesday, January 12, 2011

"Start spreading the news"

Song of the Post: Animals as Leaders – CAFO               
                It’s the new craze hitting the streets everywhere. Ok well maybe it is just something between a friend and me. But regardless, this is going to be the new new. What could I be talking about? Why am I so excited to attempt to spread something? Will it be as successful as bringing back gnarly or sike (California surfer spelling, not to be mixed with psych)?! I don’t even know the answer to those questions and I am the one attempting to answer all of them.
                Let’s talk about the events leading up to this wonderful word creation that has blessed my brain. I was getting some breakfast tacos at my local Tacodeli. Whatever you might think, Tacodeli beats Torchys any day. Just because it didn’t start out in a cool trailer doesn’t mean it’s not the best. Anyway I frequent this one location often and some of the people that cashier remember my name…or just look at my credit card every time. Either way it is always a good atmosphere and is very Austin-tatious. One of the managers there looks just like this musician Jonny Craig. Don’t get me wrong, JC is no super star or anything, but the man has a voice like an angel and probably guests on more tracks than Drake. Yes it is possible and because he is not a “top 40” guy, he still is heard by millions. The only way to describe JC is by a picture. I have seen him many times in concert and in interviews about him switching bands or going back to an original band. (Dance Gavin Dance to Emarosa back to Dance Gavin Dance) Below is a little samplet of his work.
                Enough with the obsession with music and artists. So I tell this guy:
                “You know you look just like Jonny Craig”
                “Oh really? Who is that?”
                “You know, Dance Gavin Dance, Emarosa, Isles and Glaciers…..?”
                “Those don’t ring a bell”
                “Well I suggest you look him up. At least you guys have the same ginger mullet”
                Say whaaaaaa?!?! A scenester doesn’t know who Jonny Craig is?! That’s like saying an Italian doesn’t know what mozzarella is. Absurd! I know plenty of people who don’t even know what kind of music he plays, but still know him or his voice. Now that the indie music scene has taken a choke hold on the city of Austin and surrounding “cool guy” cities, I guess I can understand how good musicians get swept under the rug. Not to mention ones that actually can sing.
                I immediately go to text my good friend who shares similar qualities and standards in music choices. I explain to him the situation and the greatest word baby was created.
SCENE CHECK!
                That’s right boys and girls. This is what I have been leading up to. A “scene check.”
                For this application, the literal term “scene check” works because this guy is definitely a “scenester” and should have known or been informed about all the associated material with the cool guy music “scene.” But the meaning of the phrase can go much deeper. It can apply to all sorts of situations, run-ins, trumps, clowning, degrading, embarrassing, or any other type of “check” you have to perform on one of your friends due to them being misinformed. Here is a good example:
You have a friend that is a bad story teller but no one wants to tell him/her that. So you let this person continue with their terrible stories that are never correct. You usually have to re-explain what really happened after this person is out of the room. But why wait?
“Blah blah blah blah I got really drunk last night and I didn’t do that. I was doing this and he was there and she was there and I was like ahhh and they were like ahhh”
“Actually none of that happened. You weren’t even there because I was with all of those people at the same time your story takes place…SCENE CHECK!”
                Ok I’ll admit that is not the best example I could come up with. But I’m sure you get the point. It can be used for all applications. Movies, video games, friends, parents, work, harassment…you know all those fun things where you like to correct people but never could. Well guess what readers, its ok now. Start correcting people. Start spitting out the truth instead of holding it in. Not only that, make sure you say “scene check” immediately following. This is the valid way I can think of setting an example. And if you need some help with the usage or the terminology, feel free to ask. I would be more than willing to help.


Updates:
Make sure to check the “Pages I Visit” section of this blog. I am beginning to build up all the sites I visit to share with everyone. It ranges from health and fitness, life, food, entertainment, music, and all sorts of others. It’s a good reference to just kill time or to be more informed.

1 comment:

  1. can i be so bold as to ask why on earth there is a random screencap of surf ninjas in this blog post? i can't for the life of me figure this one out...

    i only ask because it is i who is in that very picture

    ReplyDelete