Monday, January 10, 2011

"Music, a steady riot in my soul"

Song of the post: Big D and the Kids Table – Steady Riot 
For about the past 5-7 years, cell phones have been able to have their own, personal ring tones and in call tones. For the most part, it directly relates to the persons musical interest or is specific to the individual who is calling. With the inception of the Iphone/Itunes and a lot of ring tone making software, people have the freedom to choose which part of the song, audio clip, or recorded voice that is desirable. But recently, I have heard some questionable tones coming from questionable people.
                As everyone knows, I am a metal head. I listen to all genres of rock but mostly trend toward the harder side. Now this doesn’t mean I only listen to bands that scream or growl the entire time. That is “death” metal or “black” metal. Although I do appreciate the complexity and skill involved for creating such types of music, it isn’t for me. But I do enjoy a nice balance between hard core and harmonics. So this type of music is reflected in my ring tones. You will usually hear Thursday, Glassjaw, Saosin, (Anthony Green) Dance Gavin Dance, A Kiss for Jersey, or some other band I have chosen to represent people who call. Now I do occasionally throw in some old school Yungstar, Mase, Dr. Dre, or any of the various GOOD hip hop/rap lyricists simply because it is appropriate, again, for the individual.
                But as I was cruising around work the other day, and more importantly I was visiting the men’s restroom, I heard a faint noise coming from a nearby stall. It was a ring tone that I would have not expected to hear from any guy’s phone at work, let alone in the restroom. More importantly, I couldn’t figure out who the call was coming from. Most people respect the unofficial “work phone code” and do not make calls to personal lines during work. But the scene was quiet, and next thing I hear blasting at full volume is Lady Antebellum – Need you now. Well that threw me for a loop. I am not here to hate on the song or the musician because they are doing something I will never be able to do. Not the point at all. The point is, why does this guy:
1.       Have his phone on full volume during work?
2.       Have a song that is about 2 years old and considered “played out” due to radio popularity?
3.       Have it assigned to a person who might not be his wife?
4.       Not pick up right away or silence the call?
                This is no question to his manhood or anything that is connected to his masculinity, but come on guy. Silence that call. I am trying to use the restroom in peace. Just when I thought that song was gone from all stations on the radio and all dance halls, it came on at the one place that I thought I’d never hear it…work. “That boy ain’t right.”
                To redeem this guy’s terrible choice in a ring tone, I did hear something way cooler and way more fitting for the work environment. Today on my usual walk around the work campus, I overheard a familiar tone that was from my past and present. A simple, yet complex, sound of machines and human engineering. What might it have been you ask? It was the noise that comes from Transformers when they…transform. Any kid in the 80’s, 90s, and late 2000’s knows this sound. It is iconic especially to those who were dire fans from the original animated series. I thought to myself, “man that has to be the coolest ringtone of 2011 so far.” Good for that guy. Not only will his smart phone, which could potentially be turned into a robot in disguise as we have all seen from the movies, have a fitting “techy” tone, it is just downright cool.
                Not to mention, one of my best friends has one of the radical ring tones I have heard ever. It is a silenced pistol shooting off two shots with the shell echo in the back ground. I like to think of this tone as a recorded sound from everyone’s favorite game 007 Goldeneye. The Silenced PP7 was the preferred gun of Bond and using it in the game was just a testament of the user’s skill. Not only the iconic reasoning, but anyone who has shot, been around, or enjoys guns/pistols knows how cool it is to have it silenced. It makes you a silent killer. (Figuratively speaking) To silence a weapon in the real world is obviously illegal, due to the fact that you could go around blasting clowns and no one would know. Everyone knows that. But just imagine, if there was no consequence, I would for sure be one of the first to silence any weapon I have, for the “cool guy” factor. (Sidebar: Silencing a weapon decreases power and accuracy of a bullet. It is not recommended at any point other than to be “silent.” Had to clear that up)
                To those of you, who have personalized ringtones; go on with your bad self. It’s one of the few ways to express your music tastes publically and it allows you to make it more personal with your contacts in your phone. But I do caution everyone. Make it appropriate for your surrounding and be aware of who is listening. It might just cause mixed emotions about you to your friends or to complete strangers. You may be starting off on the right foot with someone new, or turn them away real quick like.

Note to those music lovers out there:
                Glassjaw is coming back to Texas! This is a once in a lifetime show and If you can make it, I highly suggest you go broaden your horizons with this band. Darryl Polumbo is one of the greatest musicians in the rock/hardcore genre and has been on the scene for over 10 years. He fronts Glassjaw and Head Automatica, not to mention all the producing he does in New York. I will do my best to make one of these shows but due to work limitations, I may not get to see them. It is ok because I did see them last time they came to Austin. Trust me you do not want to pass on this. Texas dates are:
                Dallas – February 19th
                Houston – February 20th
                San Antonio – February 21st

Recipie of the Post - Primal Beef Stew


Blog Updates!
o   New pages have been created above
o   I will be adding another with quick links to my favorite blogs/websites for reference
o   A song of the post will be added at the top of every post
o   A recipe of the post will be added at the bottom of every post


No comments:

Post a Comment